Theko, which literally means ‘a local bar’ in Gujarati is a lounge situated at a walking distance from Vile Parle station. The place serves some delectable North India, Gujarati and Chinese cuisine with a twist of the varied flavors of Gujarat. It also has a bar section, serving a mix of mocktails and cocktails that one can enjoy with their scrumptious cuisines. The lounge has partnered with Zomato so Zomato Gold members can avail the benefit of 1+1 on food at this place.
The place is divided into two levels. The lower level has the ambience of a family restaurant with comfortable sofa seating on the left, which has quite a contemporary décor choice, and the right section has that Cuban-vintage décor style with floral wallpaper and netted backrest on the couch. There is an empty space on the right wall for projector screening of the World Cup matches and also there is a LED screen near the bar section for the same. Thereby, making it a hotspot for match screenings in the vicinity. The bar section is well lit, but the seating section is a little of the sombre side.
The upper level, however, has an ambience of a lounge where one can come and chill after work hours. The European-Cuban inspired interior is the first that I have seen. The most eye-catching section is the car, that’s studded with tiny mirrors and has been cut into half so as to convert it into a console. There is an open bar as well, where one can unwind by sipping on some cocktails.
The place has some quality music tracks playing in the background that adds to the overall dining experience. Also, every Thursday they have a Karaoke night on the lower level and coincidently we happen to visit the place on a Thursday which made the experience even more worthwhile.
Overall, the ambience is great!
The service was quite swift and the staff was warm & courteous. The person who attended us gave us different recommendations for starters and main course based on our taste but he didn’t have much idea about the mocktails/cocktails, hence, the bartender attended and served us with his special mocktails which weren’t on the menu. Overall, the service was satisfactory.
1) Mimosa: I have tasted Mimosa before and this blend of orange juice, vodka, and sparkling wine wasn’t as pleasing as I expected it to be. The vodka and citrus taste of the juice added a tint of sweetness which was satisfying but the after taste of sparkling wine didn’t work for me.
2) Screwdriver: The combination of Vodka and orange juice was well presented and is a great alternative to Mimosa. The piquant and tangy after taste of the blend satisfied my taste buds. Stir it well and let it settle before sipping in.
3) Pineapple and Coriander mocktail: The base of the drink is of pineapple, combined with a minimal quantity of apple and orange juice, topped with coriander leaves. The drink was flavoursome in all aspects and it’s the best mocktail you can try at Theko for it’s a special by the bartender.
4) Shock Apple Mocktail: The base of the drink is of Apple juice with a blend of some strawberries. The mocktail was again a special and it was extremely refreshing.
1) Chilli Paneer Taco: Theko serves Gujarati fusion food so here the taco comes with a twist. They used thepla, instead of a corn chip, stuffed with some well marinated soft pieces of paneer, tomatoes, salsa sauce, lettuce and topped with grated cheese. It’s spicy, piquant and toothsome. I strongly recommend it. Must try if you love that extra spicy flavor in your Tacos.
2) Tandoori Machi: The Basa fish was well marinated with batter and was crisp on the bite. The six pieces of the tandoori machi were delectable in taste with a smokey tandoori flavor. It came along with a bowl of green chutney and an adequate proportion of salad on the right which made it even more scrumptious.
Paneer butter masala with Naan: North Indian dishes mostly makes you feel heavy on the stomach but this was well prepared with all the right species which made it light. The generous chunks of paneer dipped in the flavourful gravy was soft on the bite, as was the naan. The butter was evenly spread over the sabzi and overall it was a perfect main course meal.
Gulab Jamun: Soft on the bite and luscious in taste.
Sizzling brownie: A classic dessert option having a brownie which is topped with vanilla ice cream and covered in chocolate sauce. The brownie could have been a little gooey but the overall taste was delicious.
Lastly, Theko is a great place to unwind and chill after work, where one can visit with both family and friend as the place has suitable ambience for both. The servings here were delectable and the service was prompt. The dining experience was great and the karaoke was the highlight of the memorable evening. I’d highly recommend the place! Must visit!
Overall rating: 4/5